The Rajasthan Royals are back in the IPL after a two-year suspension and they will be looking to make an impact as soon as they return. Prior to their suspension, they had success in the competition, winning it in 2008 and finishing runners-up in 2013. This is a big season for them, they have something to prove on their return and they need to build a squad that people are going to love watching.
Expected playing XI for RR is
- Ajinkya Rahane: He is definitely going to be in the playing XI. No doubt about it.
- Rahul Tripathi: Leave D’Arcy Short for the initial matches as he isn’t used to Indian conditions. If anyone of these openers didn’t perform, Short can come in. Tripathi can provide runs very fast as he has done for RPS.
- Steve Smith(C): He is the captain of the team and he should stay throughout the innings with every other player playing around him.
- Sanju Samson: He is an amazing talent and has been a consistent player in IPL.
- Ben Stokes: Costliest player in the IPL auction. No doubt he is going to be the X-factor of the team in all the three departments batting, bowling, and fielding.
- Josh Buttler(WK): He is the wicketkeeper and the finisher of the team.
- Stuart Binny: You can still consider him as an all-rounder. He gives you 2–3 overs when any bowler has a bad day. He can come and hit those big hits at the end of the innings and a good fielder too.
- Krishnappa Gowtham: Bought for 6.2 crores. I have seen him recently defending very low score bowling in the last over in Vijay Hazare trophy. He is a destructive batsman too. So has to be there in the playing XI.
- Jofra Archer: Bowls with 145+ kmph speed, Rocket fielder, and a good batsman. Has to be there in the team.
- Shreyas Gopal: The leg-spinner of the team. Since it is a T20, a leg-spinner has to be there in the team.
- Jaydev Unadkat: Costliest Indian purchase in the IPL auction. Gets wickets in the powerplay, gets wickets at the death, bowls economically, left arm pacer. He has everything that an IPL needs. He was in top wicket-takers in 2017 IPL that too by missing some matches initially. So he has to be there.
In case they are playing in their home ground where it generally favors pacers, Dhawal Kulkarni can come in place of Shreyas Gopal as another fast bowling option.